Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Local Beef -IT's What's For Dinner!


Last week there was a recall, by JBS Swift Beef Company, of 41,280 pounds of beef. Possible E. coli contamination. Then, on Sunday, they expanded the recall to 380,000 pounds! click here Say that out loud once! Three Hundred and Eighty THOUSAND pounds of beef. . . that's 1,520,000 Quarter Pounders. Yikes.

On Sunday I ate a slider for lunch. I'm sure you all know what a slider is, but just in case you don't, it's a mini-hamburger. About a quarter of a quarter-pounder. When I got home and found out about the recall, I wasn't worried. Because the slider I ate was made from local beef. It came from a happy cow who used to life at Marin Sun Farms click here. Delessio, the restaurant where I ate, serves local organic food click here and they post where the food comes from. This is not only good for the restaurant's business and their customers, it's awesome for the farmers.

If you eat beef, you should be concerned about this huge meat recall. E. coli contamination means there's poop on the meat. Who wants to eat that? Not me. And I'm sure not you. There are lots of ways to find local beef. Ask around. Google "meat CSA". You'll find a source and you'll be glad you did.

And when you are done enjoying that rare t-bone steak that came from a critter who used to mow a pasture just down the road, watch Food, Inc. click here. You'll be glad you did. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment